Friday, June 19, 2015

We're Better Than This. Aren't We?

I don't get it.

Nine people are shot dead in a church and, instead of mourning, the nation is pointing fingers and trying to spin opinion to fit an agenda.

Is it so much to ask if we're allowed to just be sad for a while?

Schools aren't safe. Churches aren't safe. I thought my generation was close to achieving something of a post racial America, and then a 21 year old tries to start race war. Then I have a few of my peers tell me it's okay for a cop to shoot an unarmed person in the back as they run away because, "It's an order."

I guess I'm just baffled that people are still racist in light of overwhelming evidence and common sense that all people are just that: people. Everyone's an individual and deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. Every stranger you meet deserves a blank slate. It's that simple and even more obvious.

But there are people running around acting like one race has a monopoly on intelligence, morality and peace and the other stupidity, sin and violence. There is only one race: the human race.

We're all in it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment